Treblinka I – Penal Labour Camp
The penal labour camp was established in the summer of 1941 near an existing gravel pit. The grounds of the camp covered 17 hectares. At the initial stage of its functioning it was Polish and then Jewish people, mainly from the Warsaw district, who were interned there. They died from hunger and the inhuman system of punishment and torture. The average number of prisoners confirmed at any time was between 1000 and 2000 people.
The prisoners worked in a gravel pit, at the railway station in Malkinia, and at the irrigation area in the valley of the river Bug. Some of them were made to work in the camp workshop. There were about 20,000 prisoners. Almost half of them died or were shot. The camp ceased to exist at the end of July 1944.
Treblinka II – Extermination Camp
The extermination camp in Treblinka was build in the middle of the year 1942 near the existing labour camp. It was formed under Reinhard Action in order to exterminate Jewish people. The camp covered 17 hectares of the ground. The staff consisted of 30 – 40 Germans and Austrians. They were supported by 100 – 200 guards of Ukrainian origin. The first transport of victims arrived on 23 July 1942. They were Jews from Warsaw ghetto. People were exterminated in gas chambers. The rebellion organized by the prisoner broke out on the 2 August 1943. The camp was partly destroyed. In November 1943 it ceased to exist. It is estimated that 800.000 of Jewish people from Poland, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, Yugoslavia, Germania and Soviet Union were exterminated. In the years 1959 – 1963 on the basis of the project of prof. F.Duszenko, A. Haupt, F. Strynkiewicz the grounds of the former camp were reconstructed and declared a memorial to martyrdom of nation.
- The museum work hours: every day at 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.;
- Visitors should be older than 14 years;
- Entrance price: 7 PLN, but if you do not use the toilet and do not go to the museum you should not pay;
- Photographing and filming is free. In other case you have to get a director permission;
- You should have good footwear and water, because there are 2.5 km between Treblinka 1 and Treblinka 2;
- Good place to stay near the Treblinka: Dworek Nad Stawem