Blue Grotto | Malta
The place you should see on the arrival of Malta is the Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto is a huge cave on the south east coast of Malta, in the Wied iż-Żurrieq town. Several caves are located next to it, these are the effects of strong and powerful sea waves, which, due to the extraordinary beauty, annually attract thousands of tourists. The location is very popular among movie makers, “Milky Way” chocolate commercial was filmed here, and also a lot of promotional videos about Malta, in 2004 the filming of “Troy” scenes took place here, and many others as well.
Every day from sunrise till noon, a unique scene can be observed in this place: when sun shines on the caverns’ surfaces, they reflect the various blue hues from the water, surfaces of the several caves reflect the color of the phosphorescent underwater flora, others reflect dark blue shades, this is a wonderful place to visit in Malta.
The Blue Grotto can be seen in two ways: from the observation deck (Blue Wall and Grotto Viewpoint), which is at the entrance to the Wied iż-Żurrieq town, or by boat, so you will have the opportunity to swim around and see the grotto from all sides and see the most beautiful places. If you have chosen the boat trip, you need to go to the Wied iż-Żurrieq town where you can park a car and land at the berth to buy tickets at a price of EUR 8/person. Do not forget that during the big swell you can not swim in the sea by boat.
- The easiest way to travel is to rent a car, but do not forget that driving in Malta is on the left;
- Take the bus No. 74 from Valletta city, it will take you to the Blue Grotto. The price for a one-time bus ticket is EUR 1.5 for off-season and EUR 2 for the season. If you are going to travel more by public transport, you can save some money if you buy Explore bus card, you can buy it at the airport, prices: 12 one-time bus tickets – EUR 15; not limited 7-day card price is EUR 21. Read more about bus routes and Explore cards here.
- Like in many European cities, when you go by bus and want to get off, it is also necessary to press a button, then the bus driver stops at the next stop;
- Food in the cafes is not cheap, so if the hotel offers breakfast or dinner, be sure to take it;
- It is very convenient to use Hop On – Hop Off buses in Malta, daily ticket price is EUR 15-20;
- What to eat in Malta: traditional meal in the country is a rabbit stew and a non-alcoholic orange drink “Kinnie”. Definitely try other dishes: Pastizzi – puff pastry pies with ricotta cheese, Aljotta – fish soup, Bragioli – beef rolls, Lampuki – fish pie, Bigilla – mashed beans paste with garlic, Hobz biz-zejt – bread sprinkled with olive oil and rubbed with ripe tomatoes, with tuna, onion, garlic and сapers paste, Qara Twil Mimli – stuffed pumpkin or long vegetable marrow, Soppa ta’l-armla – “widow’s” soup (with vegetables, eggs and cheese).
- Popular alcoholic beverages: light beer – “Cisk”, wine, cactus liqueur.
- To enjoy the sunset in Blue Grotto, choose your overnight stay: Blue Grotto Seaview apartment
- Special car rental prices in Malta
3 thoughts on “Blue Grotto | Malta”
Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include approximately all significant infos. I would like to see more posts like this.
Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I
put things off a whole lot and never seem to get anything done.